Each minute of our life is a lesson but most of us fail to read it. I thought I would just add my daily lessons & the lessons that I learned by seeing the people around here. So it may be useful for you and as memories for me.
The advancements in healthcare industry are not just confined to the quality medical care solutions but also to change the delivery system and patient experience as a whole. All the industries have understood the innate potential of automation and the results are quite optimistic. It is a now time for the healthcare industry transformation, in the light of emerging automation solutions in the hospital management system.
In the current age, Time and health are two precious commodities. Patient management can help improve both. It helps in Improving the quality of patient care, making optimal use of resources, ensuring compliance with all statutory requirements and at the same time staying ahead of the competition requires stable IT support.
Patient management is a broad term, with two categories of definitions. One definition refers to a software tool that streamlines processes within a medical practice or hospital, and the other refers to an entire system of care involving both patient and practice.
Paying attention to patient management can have many benefits for medical practices and hospitals. Speeding up communications and administrative tasks reduces administrative staffing time and allows staff to focus on direct patient care. The amount of time spent on data entry, record keeping, and appointment reminder phone calls is also reduced.
A patient management system often goes beyond just being an electronic health record or electronic medical record (EMR). Government incentives helped expedite the move towards electronic health records, and many practices realized that other software and systems could be beneficial. Patient management software can integrate appointment history, patient information, diagnoses, prescriptions, billing records, and more. It can also help practices and hospitals reduce costs by automating some tasks like appointment scheduling, sending reminders, and billing.
Functionality and needs differ depending whether or not the medical practice is small and independent or part of a larger medical group. PMS systems work entirely differently within a hospital setting. The software can link practices and medical offices so things like patient records are easy to access on a variety of devices in different settings.
A patient management software system can provide any of the following functions. Not all of the patient management software features listed below are included in any single software application. However, each feature is part of some patient management systems currently available. This comprehensive list can help you understand your practice’s unique requirements and get a head start on the software selection process.
- Welcome patients to a practice or hospital and allow people to sign in
- Screen identification and print badges for visitors
- Complete forms before appointments to decrease patient time spent in the waiting room and administrative time spent inputting data
- Keep medical records and allow easy accessibility from a variety of locations including from a mobile device
- Schedule appointments and allow patients to see what is available and pick the best time for them
- Send confirmations of appointments and place them on an electronic calendar
- Send reminders about appointments, hopefully reducing the number of no-shows
- Send follow-up health information, advice, and reminders of what physicians said to do to increase patient participation in their own health care
- Notify physicians when patients arrive to decrease wait times
- Keep records of patient encounters so both physicians and patients can refer to previous conversations and appointments
- Monitor and receive data from medical devices and provide alerts both to physicians and patients if medical attention is necessary
- Allow emails and conversations between patient and physician
- Generate bills and insurance claims
- Regardless of the software a medical practice or hospital chooses, it still needs to adhere to some pre defined rules and comply with GDPR
Patient management software sets new standards for excellence in patient care. It provides healthcare facilities of all sizes with greater economy, enhanced quality of service, more accuracy and more efficiency. Programs are available to suit a variety of medical practice needs. Now that you know what features to expect, you can start gathering requirements and comparing vendors in the industry. Good luck on your journey to better patient care!
References: DigitalHealthBuzz, Smartsheet, Selecthub and healthcare portals
Please feel free to share your story and any lessons you learned, you experienced, you came across in your life in the comments below. If you enjoyed this, or any other other posts, I’d be honoured if you’d share it with your family, friends and followers!